April is National Woodworking Month! Acme Tools put together this article dedicated to woodworking craftsmanship such as cabinetry, furniture manufacturing, woodcarving, carpentry, and woodturning to celebrate. Together we can dive into woodworking basics and some resources to find woodworking plans and designs.
If you’re reading this post, you’re probably well aware of what woodworking is, but if you’re new – welcome! To get started, let’s cover the basics. Woodworking is a skill that involves cutting, shaping, and joining wood to create decorative or useful items. Woodworking can be done as a profession or a hobby; if you’re ready to kickstart your career or become a do-it-yourselfer, check out these posts.
Woodworking is an exciting craft that continues to grow in popularity. Here are ten fun facts to recognize all things surrounding wood and woodworking.
- Every state in the US has its official tree.
- Since it grows naturally, all wood is biodegradable.
- The earliest woodworking tools were made from bone, antlers, and rocks.
- Wood pulp can be used to make rayon, a synthetic fabric.
- The guild system in the Middle Ages helped standardize woodworking techniques.
- According to Encyclopedia.com, carpenters are the largest group of creating trades workers.
- Wet wood can conduct electricity.
- Nearly 260 pounds of oxygen are produced by a single tree each year.
- Woodworking has been around for over 2000 years.
- The shortest tree in the world, typically found in the Arctic Tundra, is the dwarf willow.
Check out a workshop
Many companies offer in-person or online woodworking workshops. Check your town to see if there’s anything in your area or look online to see if you can find something you’re interested in.
Share your work online
Keep your friends and family updated, plus give other creators ideas by sharing your work online. Use the #NationalWoodworkingMonth hashtag to make it easier for others to find.
Try something new
Whether you’re a novice or woodworking expert, there’s always something new to learn. Grow your skills or pick up new ones by watching YouTube videos or connecting with other woodworkers in your area for tips and tricks.
Woodworking Project Ideas
Deciding where you want to start on your next, or first, woodworking project can be challenging; here are a few ideas to give you some inspiration.